Kilcawley Center, 1 University Plaza, Youngstown, OH 44505

330-941-3591 ysusga@gmail.com

September 24, 2018 Minutes

Here is a accessible PDF of the Minutes: 180924_Body-Mtg-MinutesDownload

Order of Business

  1. Call to Order
    1. 4:00
  2. Guest Speakers
    1. John Hyden, AVP Facilities Maintenance
      1. Curtailment will continue under needed circumstances
      2. Couple reasons why it’s done
        1. Saves a lot of money
        2. High temperatures
      3. Number of curtailments fluctuate from year to year
  3. Roll Call
  4. Approval of the Minutes & Agenda
    1. In favor: All
    2. No: None
    3. Abstentions: None
  5. Executive Business
    1. President & Executive Vice President’s Report
      1. Food Pantry
        1. Made space to put in refrigerator
        2. Received donations from police department
        3. New employee
          1. Fridays: 2PM-6PM
          2. International student
      2. Family Areas
        1. Maag
        2. Hannah Harris, Maag Administration
      3. Voter Registration Drive
        1. 10-2, 25th , outside of KC
      4. Yield time to Alexis Meyers:
        1. 6-month free trial with Amazon, $50 annual fee instead of $100 when you join with student ID
        2. Allowed to partner with student organizations to order supplies
      5. SGA Retreat
        1. Oct. 5th from 6 to 8 in The COVE
        2. Oct. 6th: Homecoming Tailgate from 2 to 5
    2. Vice President for Financial Affairs’ Report
      1. So far we’ve used $23,977
      2. We’ve used $620 in chartwell budget
      3. Funded 31 events and 23 Organizations
    3. Vice President for Student Life’s Report
      1. Homecoming
        1. Burgers and Hotdogs
      2. Butler
        1. 100 Anniversary
        2. Partner with Butler for Gala
          1. Raise money for them to get the space for free
      3. SGA Retreat
        1. Oct. 5th
      4. Fall Fire Fest
        1. Oct. 4th
      5. Day to meet the reps
        1. Oct. 17th
      6. Jerry Springer
    4. Vice President for Assessment and Enrichment
      1. M60 deck red light monitoring
      2. Family Area collaboration
    5. Academic Affairs
      1. refer to AA report
  6. Unfinished Business
  7. New Business
    1. Motion: Mo
    2. Student Trustees Report
      1. Lexi Rager and Rocco Core Student Trustees
        1. Liaison between YSU board of trustees and SGA
        2. Report
          1. Academic and Student Affairs

More freshman coming in with higher GPA

Increase retention, higher GPA, higher SAT scores multicultural stduetns

          1. Research Services Update

Working on increasing publications and research in general

$8.1 million in research fund

          1. Institutional Engamagemtn

New marketing tools

          1. YSU Foundation

More given

          1. We See Tomorrow Campaign

7.5 million in

          1. Changes in deprtment names
          2. Finances and Facilitites

$2 million in deficit

Spending more money on scholarships

Building projects

          1. New Board Member

Rocco Core

National Global Trustee: Eric Spiegel

    1. A Bill (SB F 2018-03)
      1. Second: Justin
      2. Student Phsyical Therapy
      3. Society of Women Engineers
        1. President: Rana Abu Hashim
      4. Black Student Union
      5. Society of Physics Stduents
        1. Member: Howard Hill
          1. Aids in Get careers in the field
          2. Presenting paper at conference
      6. Actuarial Science Club
      7. Zeta Tau Alpha
      8. Guinathon
        1. Presdient: Isbael Stober
          1. Miracle Network Week
      9. Alpha Omicron Pi
        1. Annual philanthropy event for arthritis to raise awareness
      10. Tau Beta Pi
        1. VP: Richard
          1. Help send P and VP to meet with other organizations at conference
      11. Latino Organization
      12. Urban Gaming Club
        1. President
          1. People come from outside the university so students can network and connect
      13. Racquetball Club
        1. President: Jordan
          1. For tournaments
      14. Men’s Soccer Club
      15. Ultimate Frisbee Club
        1. Presdient: taylor
          1. Will be able to qualify for sectionals if they can attend event

Second: Sam

Motion as whole

In favor: all

Opposed:

Abstentions: 1 (Isabel Stober)

    1. Honors College Representatives
      1. Second: Mark
        1. Jacob Herrah
          1. Dropped off petition with amount of signatures needed
        2. Discussion:
          1. Justin: Was on the border of yes or no. Why not make sure we have representation of the Honors College on the body? Realistically, most of the time, it’s honors students who run to be on the body.
        3. Motion to close
          1. Second: Dan
        4. Motion to secret Ballot: Justin
        5. Voting:
          1. Motion to open voting
          2. Second: David

Yes: 15

No: 14

Abstain: 2

          1. Does not pass
    1. Energy Curtailment
      1. Second: Dan
        1. Mykaela: likes that it saves us money. But have people who have disabilities or need to leave class for any reason to have a heads up
        2. Anna Maria: is there a way we can start a project where we can keep rooms cooler?
        3. Alexis: SGA should do something for students who are working out, bring awareness in the Rec to let students know that when it does get warmer.
        4. Michael Factor: implement renewable energy projects
        5. Ernie: Lyden, Cafaro, and Christman are cooled on its own separate area
        6. Mykaela: inclusion of residential halls can raise issues. People may flood over to their areas and become pact.
        7. Motion to close
          1. Second: Mark
    2. Restructuring of Academic Affairs
      1. Table
  1. Announcements
  2. Gallery Remarks
    1. Jake Herrah
      1. Most engaged college on campus
      2. Fight for every penny we get
      3. A lot of kids who put in a lot of effort in the community, 60,000 hours in volunteer work
      4. To deny representation to those students is a slap in the face
  3. Advisors’ Remarks
    1. Dr. Karen Becker: no news
    2. Erin Driscol: thanks in advance for upcoming help with homecoming and fall fire fest
  4. Members’ Remarks
  5. Adjournment 5:05

President and Executive Vice President’s Report

  • Food Pantry
    • Volunteers cleared out pantry on Friday for new shelving and refrigerator
    • Thank you to Police Department and ACE Union for donations
    • New Employee
  • Family Areas
    • Planning committee meeting next week
    • Need one more representative to help!
  • Voter Registration and Absentee Ballot Signup
    • National Voter Registration Day September 25th
    • Thank you to volunteers!
  • Amazon Prime Students (Alexis Meyers)
    • Free 6 month trial
    • Free 2-day shipping
    • Partnering with SGA for future events
  • SGA Retreat
    • Friday, October 5th from 6-8pm
    • The Cove Lounge across from the SGA Offices
    • Free games and Chick-fil-A

Vice President for Financial Affairs’ Report

Vice President for Student Life’s Report

Multicultural Monday: Food trucks along Lincoln Ave., Inviting YSU’s ethnic/cultural based clubs

i. Ideas for food trucks needed

ii. Ideas for entertainment needed

iii.Date: next semester, last Monday of each month, March 25th starting date.

b. Gardens

i. Youngstown Environmental Sustainable Society already is in charge of gardens.

ii. Able to partner with them and dedicate a day to planting

c. Homecoming

i. In need of food, must use Chartwells

ii. Burgers and hotdogs for food, possibly Chick-Fil-a

d. Snapchat

i. SGA Snapchat takeover approved

e. Honors voting officials

i. Forum for ‘What three new honor representatives mean” passed out for review

IV. New Business

  1. Black Student Union

i. Would deduct from our personal budget- alternative; let them use our Snapchat

ii.Game night- waiting to vote till presentation on Oct. 1st is given

 

b. Butler/Gala

i .event for Butler’s 100th anniversary approved

ii.looking into getting free space at Butler in trade off of fundraising for them

iii. $5 ticket price

iv.possibility of doing Butler and gala together; Plan B is Presidential Suite

v.Date for gala “winter formal’: Nov. 30th

c. SGA retreat

i. Date: Oct. 5th

ii.Chick-fil-a will be served

e.Other new issues

i. Ohio Non Violence week: Oct. 7-13th, possible speaker: Brenda Tracy

ii.Giveaways: “Winter Wednesdays” Oct.-Nov. Every two weeks

iii. Fall Fire Fest: serving hot chocolate and hot apple cider

iv. Advertisement for food pantry; Tuesday, Nov. 13: cook with YSU’s dietetic students

v.Mental health Monday and wellness Wednesday; Dec. 3rd

vi.Day for meet the reps. ; Oct. 17th : theme is still in discussion

Vice President for Academic Affairs Report

  1. I. Textbook Affordability
    1. Meeting between Ernie, Caroline, and President Tressel.
    2. Discussed legal language that may be included between the university and contracts with Barnes & Noble and other textbook companies.
    3. Long-term plan with open source textbooks; textbook affordability provides an early start to this long-term initiative.
  2. Forums with Elected Officials
    1. We have heard back from Tim Ryan’s office.
      1. The end of October (~10/22/18) would be the most ideal date for this forum.
    2. President Tressel has agreed to sit on a discussion panel with Mayor Brown and other elected officials in November.
      1. Large focus this semester.
    3. Idea: Eric Ungaro (Running for the 59th District) is coming to the campus area between October 23-25.
      1. The Economics Club is hosting him in Williamson on one of the above dates at 3:30 PM.
      2. Opportunity to partner with marketing.
  3. Last Lecture
    1. Should we have last lecture or just focus on the Political Discussion Panel?
      1. Mo: Should host both during the semester, because they will attract different audiences.
      2. Kelly: Can we host speakers outside of YSU?
      3. Group: Open to having outside speakers and bridging YSU and the Youngstown Community.
      4. Caroline: How do we get more nominations (for other professors than CLASS-focused speakers)

Vice President for Assessment & Enrichment Report

    1. Volunteers needed Wed, Sept 26th and Tues, Oct 2nd, during peak hours to count cars
  • Volunteers needed to count cars turning left and view/record light actions
  • Doodle poll to be sent out for the matter
    1. Family area collaboration
      1. Space allocated in Maag library
      2. Possibly may need to apply for grants or ask for donations
    2. Any other ideas for the year?
  • Possible ideas for fundraisers (roughly need $1000-2000 for family area)

SB F 2018-03

September 24th, 2018

A Bill

Make Appropriations for 14 organizations

The following sums are appropriated, out of any money in the Appropriations Fund not otherwise appropriated, for the fiscal year ending June 30th, 2019, for the following activities of student organizations:

Section 1: Student Physical Therapy Association is appropriated the sum of $2,520 from the general fund to defray the cost of registration for their “APTA Combined Sections Meeting” on January 23rd, 2019 thru January 26th, 2019 in Washington, DC. Eighteen (18) students are expected to attend.

Section 2: Society of Women Engineers is appropriated the sum of $1,500 from the general fund to defray the cost of flights, hotel, transportation, and registration for their “Society of Women Engineers Conference” being held on October 18th, 2018 thru October 20th, 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Three (3) students are expected to attend.

Section 3: Black Student Union is appropriated the sum of $130 from the general fund and $300 from the Chartwells budget to defray the cost of catering for their “Karaoke” event being held on October 11th, 2018 in The Hub. Sixty (60) students are expected to attend.

Section 4: Society of Physics Student is appropriated the sum of $800 from the general fund to defray the cost of registration and banquet fees for their “Great Lakes Planetarium Conference” event being held on October 10th, 2018 thru October 13th, 2018 in East Lansing, MI. Three (3) students are expected to attend.

Section 5: Actuarial Science Club is appropriated the sum of $200 from the general fund to defray the cost of registration for their “RMU Actuarial Career Day” event being held on October 5th, 2018 at Robert Morris Univeristy. Six (6) students are expected to attend.

Section 6: Zeta Tau Alpha is appropriated the sum of $375 from the general fund to defray the cost of student tickets for their “Pink Ribbon Cheer Classic” event being held on October 21st, 2018 in Beeghly Center. Five-thousand (5,000) people are expected to attend.

Section 7: Guinathon is appropriated the sum of $650 from the general fund and $200 from the Chartwells budget to defray the cost of T-shirts, supplies, and catering for their “Miracle Week 2018” event being held on October 3rd, 2018 in Heritage Park. One hundred (100) students are expected to attend.

Section 8: Alpha Omicron Pi is appropriated the sum of $300 from the general fund to defray the cost of student tickets for their “Strike Out Arthritis” event being held on October 27th, 2018 thru October 28th, 2018 at West Side Bowl. Fifty (50) students are expected to attend.

Section 9: Tau Beta Pi is appropriated the sum of $830 from the general fund to defray the cost of their event package and plane ticket for their “Tau Beta Pi Annual National Conference” event being held on October 11th, 2018 thru October 14th, 2018 in Denver Colorado. One (1) student is expected to attend.

Section 10: Latino Organization is appropriated the sum of $120 from the Chartwells budget to defray the cost of catering for their “The 1968 Mexico Massacre, in Global Context” event being held on October 11th, 2018 at the Youngstown Historical Center of Industry & Labor. Thirty (30) students are expected to attend.

Section 11: Urban Gaming Club is appropriated the sum of $150 from the general fund to defray the cost of supplies for their “Fall Invite” event on October 12th, 2018 thru October 13th, 2018 in Campus Core. One hundred (100) student are expected to attend.

Section 12: Racquetball Club is appropriated the sum of $500 from the general fund to defray the cost of league fees for their “MERC Tournament” event being held on October 13th, 2018 at the University of Pittsburgh. Ten (10) students are expected to attend.

Section 13: Men’s Soccer Club is appropriated the sum of $150 from the general fund to defray the cost of van rentals for their “MASC 2018” event being held on October 14th, 2018 in Toledo. Twenty-One (21) student are expected to attend.

Section 14: Ultimate Frisbee Club is appropriated the sum of $700 from the general fund to defray the cost of registration and hotels for their “Fall Brawl 2018” event being held on October 6th, 2018 thru October 7th, 2018 in Columbus, OH. Eighteen (18) students are expected to attend.

180924_Body-Mtg-Minutes