Kilcawley Center, 1 University Plaza, Youngstown, OH 44505

330-941-3591 ysusga@gmail.com

October 22, 2018 Minutes

Here is a accessible PDF of the Minutes: 181022_Body-Mtg-MinutesDownload

Order of Business

  1. Call to Order

    1. 4:01
  2. Guest Speakers

    1. Mr. Danny O’Connell, Director of Support Services

      1. Support Services

        1. Parking

          1. Residential and Overnight Parking

Any student can order an overnight or day parking pass

Transportation fee is $115

Day time permit $45

Overnight permit $90

          1. Added 122 parking spaces to 61 Lot
          2. Next August

M90 (across from Cafaro Dorms)

Cafaro Field

Will lose 136 parking spaces

241 parking spaces left

Tennis Court changing into parking lot

345 parking spaces will be available

Will open August 2019

Mixed Lot

  1. Roll Call

    1. Absence: Alexis Meyers
  2. Approval of the Minutes & Agenda

    1. Motion to approve minutes: Samuel Kulifay

      1. Second: Mark Slavens

  3. Executive Business

    1. President & Executive Vice President’s Report

      1. Refer to “President and Executive Vice President’s Report” below

    2. Vice President for Financial Affairs’ Report

      1. Refer to “Financial Affairs’ Report” below

    3. Vice President for Student Life’s Report

      1. Refer to “Student Life’s Report” below

        1. Meet the Representatives on November 7th

    4. Vice President for Academic Affairs’ Report

      1. Refer to “Academic Affairs’ Report” below

    5. Vice President for Assessment and Enrichment

      1. Refer to “Assessment and Enrichment Report” below

  4. Unfinished Business
  5. New Business

    1. Motion to open discussion: David Gessler

      1. Second: Patrick Beatty

    2. A Bill (SB F 2018-05)

      1. Section 2: HPAC

        1. Appropriation needed for conference in New York

      2. Section 4: Student Physical Therapy Association

        1. Appropriation needed to attend largest physical therapy meeting in Washington D.C.

      3. Section 5: Sigma Alpha Epsilon
      4. Section 7: Youngstown Association of Student School Psychologist

        1. Needed to attend conference

      5. Section 8: Men’s Club Lacrosse

        1. Needed to attend Fall game against OSU

    3. Motion to open discussion: Samuel Kulifay

      1. Second: Mark Slavens

    4. Motion to close: Daniel Bancroft

      1. Second: Justin Shaughnessy

    5. Motion to vote on the bill as a whole: Carson Markley

      1. Second: Mark Slavens
      2. For: 35
      3. Against: 0
      4. Abstain: Saidah Yusuf

    6. Potential Outdoor Wi-fi Areas

      1. Motion to open discussion: Carson Markley

        1. Second: Mykaela Wagner

          1. Areas to have outdoor Wifi

Justin Shaughnessy: Fountain

Patrick Beatty: Lincoln Avenue

David Gessler: Behind Wick Parking Deck

Hannah Harris: Cafaro green area, outside of Dunkin Donuts

Daniel Bancroft: Heritage Park behind Kilcawley

Anna Maria Jadue: Lounge area outside of DeBartolo

Mykaela Wagner: Circle outside of Cushwa

David Gessler: Make Wifi link in walking areas

David Gessler: Around Fok Hall

Michael Factor: The Rock

Sarah Elisabeth Odidika: Between Ward Beecher and Maag Library

      1. Motion to close discussion: Justin Shaughnessy

        1. Second: Carson Markley

    1. Encouraging faculty to upload basic class materials to Blackboard

      1. Syllabus and Grades

        1. Have mandatory policy for faculty to have on BlackBoard
        2. 33% of faculty are on BlackBoard
        3. 20% of faculty didn’t have electronic copy of syllabi

      2. Meet with Deans and Chairs of your college

        1. Patrick Beatty
        2. Mykaela Wagner
        3. Carson Markley
        4. David Gessler
        5. Austin Dalrymple
        6. Daniel Bancroft
        7. Anna Maria Jadue
        8. Jessica Neral

      3. Recommendation for university to adopt campus wide policy in Spring
      4. Motion to close: Justin Shaughnessy

        1. Second: Carson Markley

    2. Family Areas Donation Drive

      1. Need representatives to sit at drop off tables

    3. Motion to close new business: Justin Shaughnessy

      1. Second: Carson Markley

  1. Announcements

    1. Sam Kulifay: National Chemical Week

      1. Raffle baskets, $1 tickets

  2. Gallery Remarks
  3. Advisors’ Remarks
  4. Members’ Remarks
  5. Adjournment
  6. Motion adjourn: Justin Shaughnessy

    1. Second: Caroline Smith
    2. 5:09

President and Executive Vice President’s Report

  • Last Lecture

    • Feature Dr. Fuller, Professor of Political Science
    • November 8th @ 4:00pm

  • Panel Discussion

    • Focusing on the revitalization of Youngstown with university and city officials
    • President Tressel and Mayor Brown confirmed for Nov 27th @ 5:00pm
    • Reached out to Jim Cossler (YBI CEO) and State Rep. Michele Lepore-Hagan
    • Open to the public

  • Technology Updates

    • Need more professors to integrate classes into Blackboard
    • IT has offered to install outdoor Wi-fi to certain areas
    • Robert Tupaj, Technology Manager, wants our help completing survey on how to best improve current portal system (banner) for next year

      • Expect email from him this week

  • Budget Information (see handouts)

    • University Funds and Budget for FY 2018
    • State Funding to various Ohio universities

  • Family Area Donation Drive

    • Hannah, Saidah, Carolyn, and Ernie contacting local daycares for donations
    • SGA will host donation drive through month of November
    • Tabling November 1st, 9th, and 16th from 10-2pm in Kilcawley
    • Looking for any toys or items fit for children up to three years old

  • Available Committees to serve on

    • One person needed to serve on committee to select Student Marshalls for Fall graduation
    • Two students needed to join parking committee to review new parking following the building of the Cafaro Field

Vice President for Financial Affairs’ Report

Vice President for Student Life’s Report

I. Unfinished business

  1. Meet the reps: October 24th
  2. Mental Health Monday: pushed back till next semester due to Mental Health Department being overbooked
  3. International coffee hour: November 2nd
  4. Election watch party: November 6th; most likely at Suzie’s dogs and drafts
  5. Winter Gala: February 8th

II. Old Business

  1. Homecoming- leftover shirts needed to be given away
  2. Mac and cheese emergency giveaway

III. New business

  1. Penguin preview: November 2nd and November 30th
  2. Honors college: October 19th
  3. Black Student Union “penguin plunge”: January 17th
  4. Budget of Student Life Committee discussed

e. Tour of restaurants: weekly discounts to promote YSU/Youngstown restaurants

Vice President for Academic Affairs Report

  1. Last Lecture

    1. Dr. Adam Fuller, Political Science

      1. 5 Nominees, 4 declined the offer

    2. Dates, times, food

      1. November 8th, 4PM-Confirmed date and time
      2. President’s Suite first, then Ohio Room if unavailable- Mo will be reserving by Wednesday
      3. Acquiring picture and bio from Dr. Fuller, then we will begin marketing.

  2. Textbook Affordability

    1. Kelly – idea on price checking event

      1. Volunteers from each college to hold “Price Checking Event”
      2. Volunteers will work with students to go through their class/book list and check different websites to look at their different options.

    2. Incentives

      1. Providing incentives, such as Chick-Fil-A or Dunkin Donuts, to students who donate their books

    3. Need to check into course reserves at Maag to see what textbooks they have in inventory and what textbooks they need
    4. Need to check to see if departments have ‘textbook libraries’ available to their students or if they would be willing to donate to the library’s course reserves.
  3. Discussion Panel

    1. Panelist suggestions?

      1. Michele Lepore-Hagan
      2. Carol Rimedio-Righetti
      3. Jim Cossler

    2. Ernie and I have contacted Mayor Brown and President Tressel

      1. Solidifying date with President Tressel

    3. Progress on questions

      1. Draft question list written
      2. General topic of bridging the gap between YSU and the Youngstown community.
      3. Opening question: what do you envision for the future of YSU/Youngstown

    4. Possible partnership with City of YOU Branding Campaign
    5. Planning on the week of November 26
  4. S.P.O.T.

    1. Strategic Planning Organization Team
    2. Team organizing YSU’s strategic plan from our own campus community
    3. Regularly posted questions on YSU website to gather feedback from students
    4. Thought Leader Series
  5. Discussion
  6. Adjourn

Vice President for Assessment & Enrichment Report

  1. Old Business

    1. Y Cups: YSU Dining

      1. Contacted Thomas Totterdale (Chartwells)

    2. M60 Left Turn Light

      1. City of Youngstown has mandated left turn signal light for next year’s Fifth Ave renovations

Scrapped idea (light to be fixed next year along with street renovation)

    1. YSU Parking Services

      1. Meeting with Danny O’Connell Parking Services

        1. Parking Services will regulate and distribute tickets in M2 lot (Weller House) to help with violated parking spots
        2. Parking policy must be consistent
        3. Speed bump: they will look into getting a broader/gradual bump as well as speed trackers/speed signs
        4. Temp permits: note will be left on parking page-see parking services for permit
        5. Air pump: parts are getting replaced

Possibly more on campus? Sponsoring? $1500-2500 roughly

        1. Other topics discussed: new sports complex and parking

  1. New Business

    1. Jim Yukich needs our help:

      1. Identifying outdoor Wifi Hotspots

  • The fountain, Cafaro, outside DeBartollo, outside Dunkin, Beeghly Hall, Moser, etc
  • Possible more outdoor accessories (benches, tables)

      1. Assessment and Enrichment will send out survey

        1. Preference of spots from 1-10
        2. Deadline 3 weeks

      2. Getting professors on Blackboard

        1. Work on adopting a policy that will mandate Blackboard usage for professors
        2. We want at least electronic syllabi
        3. Get reps to talk to deans! More info needed
        4. Deadline January

  1. Discussion
  • Construction was due to heating issues involving Meshel Hall
  • Called YSU Police to find the locations about blue lights. Not much help
  • Stress to student’s importance of YSU security, blue lights would be better option?
  • Get head of parking, Danny, as a guest speaker for body meeting.

SB F 2018-05

October 22nd, 2018

A Bill

Make Appropriations for 9 organizations

The following sums are appropriated, out of any money in the Appropriations Fund not otherwise appropriated, for the fiscal year ending June 30th, 2019, for the following activities of student organizations:

Section 1: SIAM is appropriated the sum of $400 from the general fund to defray the cost of registration for their “Differential Equations Competition” event being held on October 27th, 2018 in Slippery Rock, PA. Four (4) teams are expected to attend.

Section 2: Health Professionals Affinity Community (HPAC) is appropriated the sum of $950 from the general fund to defray the cost of hotel and registration for their “Family Medicine Education Consortium” event being held on November 9th, 2018 thru November 11th, 2018 in Rye Brooke, NY. Three (3) students are expected to attend.

Section 3: Penguin Athletic Training Students is appropriated the sum of $300 from the general fund and $300 from the Chartwells budget to defray the cost of catering for their “NATA President Campus Visit” event being held on December 9th, 2018 in the DeBartolo Stadium Club. One-hundred (100) students are expected to attend.

Section 4: Student Physical Therapy Association is appropriated the sum of $810 from the general fund to defray the cost of registration for their “Combined Sections Meeting” event being held in Washington DC. Nine (9) students are expected to attend.

Section 5: Sigma Alpha Epsilon is appropriated the sum of $565 from the general fund to defray the cost of hotels for their “Province Pi Leadership School” event being held on November 16th, 2018 thru November 17th, 2018 at the University of Toledo. Thirty (30) students are expected to attend.

Section 6: Fencing Club is appropriated the sum of $220 from the general fund to defray the cost of registration and event fees for their “S.O.S Fencing Tournament” event being held on November 17th, 2018 at Kent State University. Five (5) students are expected to attend.

Section 7: Youngstown Association of Student School Psychologist is appropriated the sum of $1,200 from the general fund to defray the cost of flight and registration for their “2019 National Association of School Psychologists Annual Convention” on February 26th, 2018 thru March 1st, 2018 in Atlanta, GA. Four (4) students are expected to attend.

Section 8: Men’s Club Lacrosse is appropriated the sum of $600 from the general fund to defray the cost of rental cars for their “Fall Game Against Ohio State University” being held on November 4th, 2018 at Ohio State University. Twenty-One (21) students are expected to attend.

Section 9: YSU CRU is appropriated the sum of $200 from the Chartwells budget to defray the cost of catering for their “Fall Invite” event being held on November 1st, 2018 in the Ohio room. Thirty (30) students are expected to attend.