Kilcawley Center, 1 University Plaza, Youngstown, OH 44505

330-941-3591 ysusga@gmail.com

Minutes for March 3, 2014

SGA Minutes 3/3/14

Catie called the meeting to order at 4:02 pm.

Guest Speakers

Brittany Montgomery (SALSA)

SALSA is holding an event on April 2 entitled “Everyone Matters”.  It will be held from 10:00 am – 2:00 pm in Kilcawley Center.

Student Activities is holding an event ‘Say Yes’ to campus activities and organizations.   If you would like to participate, email Brittany at bnmontgomery@student.ysu.edu.

 

                Dr. Karen Becker

Professional Attire Collection needs one representative from each college to ask their dean “What kind of clothing do pre-professionals in your college need?”.  Clothing collection is April 1 – April 3.

 

Nicole took the role.  There are 38 voting members present at the start of meeting.

 

The minutes from the previous meeting and agenda were approved with no objections.

 

Executive Business:

>>> President’s Report:

Petitions for the 2014-2015 Student Government Association and Academic Senate seats are now available at ysu.edu/sga.  They are due in the SGA office by Friday, March 7th.

 

Catie had a meeting with YSU Police/Chief Beshara.  She received information about the YSU Alert System, including information about text messages and emails.  SGA will put out an informational statement explaining some of the more pertinent information.

 

The Rec Center is willing to fund half of the water bottle refill station for the weight room area.  They are looking for SGA support of $600 – $750.

 

>>> Executive Vice President’s Report:

The Academic Affairs committee will be sending out an email link to vote for the Last Lecture Series speaker.  Voting will end on Thursday, March 6.

 

Michael now has access to the student tab for portal.  He will be having a meeting tomorrow about this to learn how to use and manage the tab.

 

Michael met with Dr. Buckler.  He is still working on bringing curriculum sheets together; however, he has created new literature for students.

 

>>> VP for Financial Affairs Report:

$2,736.00 has been appropriated from the Chartwell’s budget with $2,264.00 remaining.  $43,062.01 has been appropriated from the general budget with $2,058.99 remaining.

               

>>> Committee Chair Reports:

Chair of Student Life Report

Brittany was a guest speaker from SALSA.  She spoke to us about “everybody matters day” and mentioned her “say yes” video.  Brittany would like SGA’s participation in everybody matters day.  It is a 24 hour challenge not to judge anyone. There will be an IM photo wall on the lower level of KC.  Everyone’s picture will be taken on a polaroid and underneath it will say “I am…” and the student will write what they stand for. It will take place on Wednesday April 2nd.  We are helping promote for sure using word of mouth and social media. (#Iam #everyonematters #YSU) This is a nationwide event happening at many universities. We will later discuss how we would like to help the day of whether it be passing out stickers, just participating or help run it.  The say yes video is about becoming involved in different organizations.  She needs participants for the video. She’ll act 5-6 general questions about being involved. It will take place on March 3rd at 2pm. If interested email Brittany at Bnmontgomery@student.ysu.edu.

 

There will be a midterm coffee giveaway on March 17th from 7:30 am to 10:00 am inside Kilcawley Center on the first floor.  Only committee and executive board will be staffing the table. A sign up sheet was passed around the meeting.

Malsch:  Can we look into something like shamrock cookies since this will be St. Patrick’s Day?

Standohar:  I will look into this.

 

Chair of Academic Affairs Report

Please submit Last Lecture Series nominations by TONIGHT (Monday 3/3).  Only two nominations have been submitted thus far.

 

Chair of University Affairs Report

The Grow Youngstown Student Organization is partnering with Grow Youngstown.  A Community Garden is to be built as the “Fairgreen Community Garden”.  City Scape and Home Depot are donating goods and materials to help with the build.  There will be 2 shifts (9:00 am – 1:00 pm [includes lunch] or 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm).  “Planting Day” is an annual event.

 

Regarding the Farm to Youngstown project, local farms will put their crops into a stock that students can buy shares of.  Shares include 4-5 items and approximately 1 pound of bulk items (spinach, lettuce, kale, etc.).  Pick up days are: April 8, 22; May 6, 20 and pick up is in front of Debartlo.  Thanks to SGA funding, a share will cost $15 per day or $60 for all 4 days.  A link will be sent out and students can pay online or at pick up site.  You cannot customize orders, because of limited crop availability but you may be able to customize in the fall.

 

Danny O’Connell responded to Luke about the concerns brought up in the last body meeting.  Outlets are available, but are not wired for the use as plug-ins for diesel trucks.  However, Parking Services will allow students to continue to plug in unless it becomes an issue. Also, the Parking Service trucks are equipped with shovels to help students get out of snow.  The extension is x3051 for motor assistance.  Danny is also looking into a free air station for tires.

 

The committee is looking into campus beautification by possibly looking into repainting the penguin fire hydrants, planting flowers in the SGA garden, painting mural on side of R&S Building, and replacing banners near Christman and Cafaro.

 

Ad-Hoc Report

There are 7 high school visits scheduled at the moment.  Alyssa is sending a sign-up sheet around during the meeting.

 

Chair of Financial Affairs Report

There are 8 organizations up for appropriations on today’s bill.  There were representatives present from:  Soccer Club Team, Men’s Club Golf, Youngstown State Bowling Club, Moot Court Association, International Student Association, Coalition for Christian Outreach, Delta Zeta Sorority, And Alpha Xi Delta.

 

Unfinished Business:

Motion to open the floor for unfinished business:  Orr first, ­­­­­­Andriko second.

Motion to open the floor for discussion on Constitution Art VI Sec III: Orr first, Andriko second.

(Article VI, Section III)

Section 3: Distribution of Seats

1. A constituency shall be defined as three hundred seventy five (375) registered students.

2. The number of representatives on the Legislative Assembly shall be determined by dividing the fall enrollment from the previous year by the constituency size, rounding to the nearest whole number.

3. The Legislative Assembly shall obtain a report from the Office of the Registrar documenting the total enrollment of Youngstown State University and the enrollment within each of the colleges.

4. Three (3) seats shall always be filled by freshmen students by the fourth week and no sooner than the second week of the fall semester. The Executive Committee shall determine these seats through appointment.

5. Each college shall have a minimum of three (3) representatives, regardless of constituency size.  This will take effect in the fall of 2013.

6. After determining the total number of available seats on the Legislative Assembly, seats shall be allocated first to freshmen representation. All remaining seats shall be divided among the colleges of Youngstown State University in proportion to the percentage of the total student population each college contains.

Edgell:  When do you add more representatives than three seats?

Bosela:  375 students = 1 seat.  Some colleges have less than three seats based on this.  This will give equal representation.  They will get more seats with increasing constituency.

Carney:  We feel that this is the most fair route.

Tancabel:  Does this include graduate studies?

Bosela:  Yes.

Carney:  For clarification, once we pass this, it will be placed on the ballot for SGA elections for approval by the student body.

Motion to close the floor for discussion on Constitution Art VI Sec III:  Orr first, Bosela second.

FOR: 39                 AGAINST: 0         ABSTENTIONS: 0

Motion to close the floor for unfinished business:  Bosela first, Yazvac second.

 

New Business:

Motion to open the floor for discussion on SB S 2014-03:  Mraz first, Greathouse second.

Motion to close the floor for discussion on SB S 2014-03:  Andriko first, carney second.

Motion to divide the question:  Tancabel first, Andriko second.

Section 1: Soccer Club Team is appropriated the sum of $50.00 to cover the cost of the tournament entry fee for the East Coast Spring League which will be March 15th, 2014. This event will be held in Pennsylvania. Twenty (20) players are expected to attend.

FOR: 39                 AGAINST: 0         ABSTENTIONS: 0

Section passed.

 

Section 2: Men’s Club Golf is appropriated the sum of $150.00 to defray the cost of the tournament entry fee for the Atlantic Regional Tournament 1 which will be March 29th and 30th, 2014. This event will be held in Elizabeth, Pennsylvania. Eight (8) members are expected to attend.

FOR: 39                 AGAINST: 0         ABSTENTIONS: 0

Section passed.

 

Section 3: Youngstown State Bowling Club is appropriated the sum of $150.00 to defray the cost of the tournament entry fee for the Sectional Qualifier which will be March 13th through 16th, 2014. This event will be held in Smyrna, Tennessee. Eight (8) members are expected to attend.

FOR: 38                 AGAINST: 0        ABSTENTIONS: 1

Section passed.

 

Section 4: Moot Court Association is appropriated the sum of $200.00 to cover the cost of catering for the Moot Court Open House which will be March 21st, 2014. This event will be held in Kilcawley Center. Twenty five (25) members are expected to attend.

FOR: 38                 AGAINST: 0        ABSTENTIONS: 1

Section passed.

 

Section 5: International Student Association is appropriated the sum of $300.00 to defray the cost of food and security fee for the Spring Formal which will be April 18th, 2014. This event will be held in the DeBartolo Stadium Club. One hundred and forty (140) people are expected to attend.

FOR: 38                 AGAINST: 0         ABSTENTIONS: 1

Section passed.

 

Section 6: Coalition for Christian Outreach is appropriated the sum of $200.00 to cover the cost of food for International Student Coffee Hour which will be April 18th, 2014. This event will be held at the YWCA. Eighty-five (85) people are expected to attend.

FOR: 38                 AGAINST: 0        ABSTENTIONS: 1

Section passed.

 

Section 7: Delta Zeta Sorority is appropriated the sum of $400.00 to defray the cost of the security fee and refreshments for the 5K Run for Noise which will be April 5th, 2014. This event will be held near the YSU campus tennis courts. Two hundred (200) people are expected to attend.

FOR: 39                 AGAINST: 0         ABSTENTIONS: 0

Section passed.

 

Section 8: Alpha Xi Delta is appropriated the sum of $298.00 to cover the cost of catering for the Amazing Challenge Football FrenXI which will be April 6th, 2014. This event will be held near the YSU campus tennis courts and the WATTS Center. Two to three hundred (200-300) people are expected to attend.

FOR: 38                 AGAINST: 0         ABSTENTIONS: 1

Section passed.

 

Motion to discuss phone charging stations:  Wasser first, Carney second.

Wasser:  Kent State University has phone charging stations in their student center.  Is this something we could look into doing?

Carney:  SGA contacted the company that installed these for more information.  They are on the pricey side.  She will send out the information about this for us to look into.

Wasser:  Do you think it would be good to start with one in Kilcawley (like the water bottle refill station) and see how it works then go from there.

Cercone:  Williamson has a ton of outlets.

Meditz:  The outlets in Wendy’s don’t even work.

Orr:  I attended a conference where they plugged power strips into the outlets to maximize the amount of students that can use it.

Leonard:  I wouldn’t want to have to stand in one spot to charge my phone and some people may steal phones.

 

If you are a graduating senior, please email Nicole Pavlichich (napavlichich@student.ysu.edu) ASAP so that we can order cords for commencement.

 

Motion to close the floor on discussion on new business:  Wasser first, Bosela second.

 

Gallery Remarks:

The Black Student Union wants to push to have events for the Youngstown community in Kilcawley Center.

Edgell:  What are these social events?

                Radcliffe:  We have been hosting parties.  They are dry events.  Kilcawley is ok with it.

                Wasser:  Kilcawley is only open until 11.

                Radcliffe:  We are trying to work with Kilcawley Center to get these hours increased.

Lamping:  You mentioned that there have been four gun events.  How do you plan to

combat this?

                Radcliffe:  Our events would be for YSU students only and we would take ID’s.

 

Advisors’ Remarks:

Driscoll:  There is a concert in the Hub on Thursday.

 

Members’ Remarks:

 

Announcements:

 

Motion to adjourn the meeting:  Tancabel first, Greathouse second.

 

Meeting adjourned at 4:58 pm.