Kilcawley Center, 1 University Plaza, Youngstown, OH 44505

330-941-3591 ysusga@gmail.com

Minutes for September 29, 2014

Minutes for SGA Meeting

September 29, 2014

President Slavens called the meeting to order at 4:08 pm.

Guest Speaker: Angela Delaquila- Penguin Productions

Fall Fire Fest on Thursday, October 16th from 7pm-11pm.

Theresa took roll call. There are 43 voting members present at the start of the meeting.

The minutes from the previous meeting and agenda were approved with no objections: Anderson first, Tamulonis second.

Executive Business

President’s Report:

Enrollment Management Council: Royal and Company applications are available and it already has 100+ applications. Right now they’re targeting seniors but eventually want to expand to other students.

We met with Deans Howell, Licata, Kestner, and Interim Provost Abraham to try to bring to light the issues of getting professors into Banner and professors getting textbook lists in on time. Over 50 classes are not on the banner system; and there are no negative consequences if a professor doesn’t have a banner account. With the new policy, if a professor doesn’t list a book on time then the class will use the book from the previous semester.

Student Centered Academic Success: we’re working for a conglomeration of little changes like making it easier to register, better advising and curriculum, and helping students graduate within four years.

Executive Vice President’s Report:

Academic Standards Committee: Slavens and I co-chairing which gives us a bit of leeway to set agendas; the students can use us as vehicle to set standards. This is the first time students have been co-chairs to a university committee. We will be looking at +/- grades again and it will be handled within committee.

Slavens, Gabi and I met with Leslie Page, Assistant Director for CSP Orientation Services. We talked about international students and trying to get them more support; maybe assign them a peer mentor. We will meet in the near future with the CISP, and try to peg down items we specifically can improve.

Senate Gen Ed Committee Meeting: Learning experience/outcomes for military personnel. They have experiences sufficient to meet specific outcomes; because of this can they receive 16 hours of general education credits in certain courses.

Last Lecture results: 34 people voted and the results showed Ron Shacklee as the winner. We will approach him with some dates; if he is not willing to speak, we will move down the list of candidates (in order from voting results).

VP for Financial Affairs Report:

If the bill passes we will have funded 24 student organizations for 30 different events. We’ve used 19% of our general budget, and 32% of the Chartwell’s fund.

Committee Chair Reports

Chair of Student Life:

Water bottles were ordered Wednesday (~460 bottles); we’re talking with Joy Byers of Campus Rec as soon as bottles come in. Surveying for a location went well, 235 students replied.

There will be a coffee giveaway the Monday of Homecoming week (10/13/2014). We’ll be taking signups for 7:30am-10:00am.

There is a tailgate on (10/18/2014). We talked w/ Joe from MVR about catering it; we have the same budget as last year, $630. The only question now is what type of food or do we want the same order?

Paul Farbman – the president of peer mentors club is waiting to hear back for plans with tailgate. We discussed previous years’ tailgates. Sign-up sheets will come out in upcoming weeks.

Chair of Academic Affairs Report:

There has been a new Provost selected. Dr. Abraham will be acting as interim Provost; he will hold this position until January (possibly).

Our library is having a funding issue. We have a 0.5% (1 million) budget, which, in comparison to similar sized universities, is not big. We rely on big name subscription sites such as Ebsco/JStore for research, and if those go digital or change we may not have the funding to access them.

Last Lecture nominations have been narrowed down to four candidates: Dr. Mettee, Michael Jerryson, Ron Shacklee, and Frank Sole. We will send out a survey for people to vote. The best room for the lecture would be: Cushwa B112, Williamson, Debartlo 132, and Chestnut room/Ohio room. We need two signs and multiple posters for around campus. Can an artsy person create a poster design?

Chair of University Affairs Report:

Guest speaker, Gloria Kobus – Office of University Bursar, spoke about refunding credit balances and the difference between direct deposits versus checks (which are being discouraged). She encourages prepaid cards: checks are problematic if sent to the wrong address; also checks must be monitored and made sure to be cashed. It’s lots of work for Office; and must be reissued if not cashed within certain number of days. Gloria wants to make sure all students are getting all of their funds without encountering hidden bank fees. YSU is considering placing student refunds on prepaid [debit] cards from which students can access funds (without ATM or overdraft fees). The money would not be directly on a card, you just access the money using it. You can choose to send funds to your bank account from card, send paycheck once graduated to this card, and send some refund money to bank account and some to the card. Gloria wants student representatives present for the credit card company presentations. Student OneStop Twitter: @YSUOneStop

Opinions of placing refund monies on pre-paid debit cards: the university needs to address financial responsibility with the cards. We ask SGA body to support the prepaid card proposition (resolution).

The study of downtown city signage used to direct people downtown and to YSU needs to be improved. Maybe there could be an addition of more mall-sized campus maps. Also there should be a crosswalk/stoplight for students crossing Rayen to Williamson, or Rayen to Disability Services.

Student Discount Updates: Suzie’s Dogs & Drafts: 10% off bill; Christopher’s Downtown: 10% off bill; Youngstown Nation: $5 off

Chair of Financial Affairs Report:

There are nine organizations up for appropriations on today’s bill. There were representatives present from: Dana Flute Society, International Student’s Association, College Music Society, Zeta Tau Alpha, University Scholars, Youngstown State Bowling Club, Youngstown Student Education Association, and YSUnity: LGBTQIA.

Unfinished Business

There is no unfinished business.

New Business:

A Bill (SB F 2014-03)

Motion to open the floor for discussion on new business: Yazvac first, Malsch second.

Defuria: In section 3, what’s the proper name of the association? Is it plural “student’s”?

ISA Rep: Yes.

Malsch: On sections 7 and 9, for bowling club, are they on the same dates?

Orr: Correct, but they’re different teams, male and female.

Defuria: In section 1, participators should be participants

Motion to divide the question: Andriko first, Gessler second.

Section 1: Student Organization for Respiratory Care is appropriated the sum of $660.00 for registration for AARC Congress: Sputum Bowl Competition which will be held December 8th -12th 2014. This event will be held in Las Vegas, Nevada. Four (4) student participators are expected to attend.

YES: 43 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 2: Dana Flute Society is appropriated the sum of $600.00 to cover police security and defray the cost of the guest artist for their Dana Flute Festival which will be held October 25th 2014. This event will be held in Bliss Hall. Two hundred (200) students are expected to attend.

YES: 43 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 3: International Student’s Association is appropriated the sum of $200.00 from the Chartwell’s catering fund to defray the cost of food for their Valentine’s Day social which will be held February 14th 2015. This event will be held in the DeBartolo Stadium Club. One hundred (100) members are expected to attend.

YES: 43 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 4: College Music Society is appropriated the sum of $300.00 to cover the costs of fees and defray the cost of travel for their guest speaker for the Musicology Guest Lecture: Dr. Guy Capuzzo which will be held October 10, 2014. This event will be held in the Bliss Recital Hall. One hundred (100) students and faculty are expected to attend.

YES: 42 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 1

PASSES

Section 5: Zeta Tau Alpha is appropriated the sum of $1,200.00 to cover the cost of YSU janitorial services and YSU police security for their Fourteenth annual Pink Ribbon Cheer Classic which will be held October 26th 2014. This event will be held in Beeghly Center. Forty (40) members and ninety (90) squads are expected to attend.

YES: 41 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 2

PASSES

Section 6: University Scholars is appropriated $200.00 from the Chartwell’s catering fund and $295.00 from the general budget to cover the cost of security and supplies for Shantytown 2014 which will be held October 25-26, 2014. This event will be on the Cafaro Greens. One hundred and twenty (120) students are expected to participate.

YES: 24 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 19

PASSES

Section 7: Youngstown State Bowling Club is appropriated the sum of $200.00 to defray the cost of registration for the Ball State Cardinal Classic which will be held September 27th and 28th, 2014. This event will be in Muncie, Indiana. Twenty (20) students are expected to attend.

YES: 43 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 8: Youngstown State Bowling Club is appropriated the sum of $100.00 to defray the cost of registration for the Pennsylvania Classic which will be held October 18th and 19th, 2014. This event will be in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Ten (10) students are expected to attend.

YES: 43 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 9: Youngstown State Bowling Club is appropriated the sum of $100.00 to defray the cost of registration for the Upike Orange and Black Classic which will be held September 27th and 28th, 2014. This event will be in Dayton, Ohio. Ten (10) students are expected to attend.

YES: 43 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 10: Youngstown Student Education Association is appropriated the sum of $50.00 from the Chartwell’s catering fund to defray the cost of food for their Future Educators of America conference which will be held October 17th, 2014. This event will be in held in McKay Auditorium in Beeghly Hall. Sixty (60) attendees are expected.

YES: 41 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 2

PASSES

Section 11: Youngstown Student Education Association is appropriated the sum of $75.00 from the Chartwell’s catering fund to defray the cost of food and $150 from the general budget to cover the cost of scholastic children’s books for their Upward Bound Christmas party which will be held December 6th, 2014. This event will be in held in McKay Auditorium in Beeghly Hall. Seventy (70) attendees are expected.

YES: 41 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 2

PASSES

Section 12: Youngstown Student Education Association is appropriated the sum of $75.00 from the Chartwell’s catering fund to defray the cost of food and $300 from the general budget to cover the cost of scholastic children’s books for their Read Across America event which will be held February 28th, 2014. This event will be in held in McKay Auditorium in Beeghly Hall. One hundred and forty (140) attendees are expected.

YES: 41 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 2

PASSES

Section 13: YSUnity: LGBTQIA is appropriated $100.00 from the general budget to cover the police fee and $200 from the Chartwell’s catering budget to defray the cost of food for the Diversity Prom which will be held October 10th, 2014. This event will be in the Chestnut room in Kilcawley Center. Two hundred and fifty (250) students are expected to attend.

YES: 43 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Financial Path

Tancabel: Anything in blue we will be adding, anything in red will be removed, and the yellow are typos.

Orr: We’d fund 130-140 organizations up to 7%- if we funded 16, at max we’d only be helping 10%. We want to help as many as possible. The Financial Affairs committee thought it was best to fund organizations this way.

Barkett: We wanted to stay under this amount unless approved by committee.

Tancabel: That’s probably a good idea. By a unanimous consent they can suggest amount; the body would vote as to what we think is a proper amount.

Malsch: What is 3.5% of our budget?

Orr: It’s just under 1,500.

Malsch: Can we see how this affects us?

Orr: We’re looking at number of events, student outreach- what is our outreach to student so that we can put a dollar value on it.

Tyler: Is this from general? Is there a cap on the Chartwell’s budget currently?

Tancabel: Different organizations co- sponsoring events: if two organizations are applying for the same event they are assumed equal share of the budget given them.

Evans: About the 3.5% discount; is that per year?

Tancabel: Yes, per year.

Lamping: Is there a safety net for the budget?

Orr: In the past we’ve asked for collaborations that were not formally recognized.

Tancabel: We need to clear up ambiguity there, for collaborative events; both cannot apply for the same event. One organization can do it but is required to divide the money equally. In order to pass all of these changes we need super majority or 2/3 of amount present in roll call. We need 26 people to vote yes to pass something.

Motion to move into voting procedures: Barkett first, Olmi second.

Motion to divide: Tancabel first, Anderson second.

Voting

Section C: PASSES

Section D: PASSES

All Section E: PASSES

Section G: PASSES

Section 302, A: PASSES

Gallery Remarks:

There are no gallery remarks.

Advisors’ Remarks:

Driscoll: There will be lip-sync battles Jimmy Fallon style. Approximately 1,700 students vote for homecoming; thanks for all the good things you’re doing. There is a speaker at Stambaugh Auditorium and I have free tickets if you want to go, come see me.

Cooper: Let’s go home.

Becker: International students, we want local students to attend. I’ll send info.

Members’ Remarks:

Meditz: STEM reps- better relationship for the expo happening this Friday from 12-2pm.

Barkett: Jazz Concert next Monday.

Gessler: The water bottles came in; they’re lovely and sturdy.

Announcements:

Motion to adjourn the meeting: Evans first, Phillips second

Meeting adjourned at 5:05 pm.