Kilcawley Center, 1 University Plaza, Youngstown, OH 44505

330-941-3591 ysusga@gmail.com

Minutes for November 10, 2014

Minutes for SGA Meeting

November 10, 2014

President Slavens called the meeting to order at 4:02 pm.

Theresa took roll call. There are 36 voting members present at start of meeting.

Executive Presentations

Jimmy Tancabel on Parliamentary Procedure

Some of the motions you can make are motion to adjourn, personal privilege, tabling discussions, or limiting or extending debates. Setting speaking times or amending documents must come after a motion has been made. Point of order, suspending the rules, dividing the question, request for information, or parliamentary inquiry can all happen at different times. (See Jimmy with any questions.)

Ashely Orr on Financial Affairs

We want to inform you about what happens during the financial process so that you can inform, encourage, and recruit other students and organizations to apply. (www.ysu.edu/sga) We establish an apt with the organization- they elaborate their event and why they need funding. We do not fund events, we defray costs of events.

The minutes from the previous meeting and agenda were approved with no objections.

Executive Business

President’s Report:

The National Campus Leadership Council invited all student government leaders to talk about what they do for their school. It turns out that we do a lot at YSU compared to other schools with the same organizations.

We met with the Enrollment Management Council to discuss the redesign of our website. They said that roughly it would take 3 years to do. If we hired a contracting company it could be finished in 3 months. This redesign will fix dead links and format. There will be a loan repayment session on Tuesday, Nov. 18th-19th.

At the Senate Meeting they discussed the implemented password reset policy. Every six months students will be required to change their passwords; this is in line with every other university.

Dr. Abraham talked about increasing standards and getting feedback. We want student quantity and quality to increase application rate. He also has some new ideas; the dean of the Graduate College will be separate Vice President in leading research for the university.

I met with Dr. Abraham, Jack Fahey, and Ken Schindler to discuss a SASI action plan. Dr. Abraham loves it and wants to do it all, but we must prioritize and make sure it’s feasible. Things like advising and 4 year plans have to be taken into account. Everything is moving forward, chairs need to be on board. They also like the idea of an incentive program and want to hear what students want as an incentive. (Talk to Michael with any ideas.)

President Tressel wants to move Career Services (Jones Hall) to Kilcawley Center.

YCS Forum: Cheney High School wants our students to visit and answer questions (Sign up sheet passed around)

Executive Vice President’s Report:

In the General Education Committee Meeting we talked about the theme for classes this year, its Prior Learning Assessment (PLA), which focuses on general education credit for life experience.

Meeting with Joe Palardy about SASI; there are technical issues about scheduling and wait lists. There would also be lots of obstacles to deal with on a university wide scale before anything big could happen. SGA installed a forum to post ideas. (www.ysu.edu/sga) We want to preserve the anonymous nature of the forum and keeping the flow of the communication.

Constituency logs are due either Wednesday, December 3rd or Friday, December 5th.

VP for Financial Affairs:

With the passage of this bill we have appropriated money for 68 events and 48 organizations. We’re spending about 10% spent with each meeting. We have used 51% from our general budget and 48% of our Chartwell’s budget. Some interesting numbers regarding the types of events funded: Social Events- 19, Conference Attendance- 19, Guest Speakers-7, Sports Competition-11, Academic Competition-6, and Philanthropy Service-6.

Committee Chair Reports

Chair of Student Life:

One Warm Coat: Once we receive confirmation from Miss Crystal we will go through with registration. We have not yet heard back. There will be bins provided by Rescue Mission.

Water-bottle refill station grant work: There is talk of writing a grant with Starbucks Water Conservation initiative. Tom Totterdale is a connection; we will write a proposal for how Starbucks would benefit, maybe include pictures of desired Maag location and compile numbers. The refill station is less wasteful than people asking for cups of water and reduces the number of bottles being thrown away.

Students mentioned that the SGA Twitter has not been used in a long time, we should try to keep social media up to date.

Sexual harassment week –SGA is helping organize an event to bring about awareness.

Chair of Academic Affairs

Student Academic Success Initiative: Talked with Joe Palardy, he says there may be technical issues with some of the ideas, so much so that it may be a 3-5 year update project. We have an upcoming meeting with Provost Abraham and Jack Fahey to discuss these ideas further.

In Academic Senate Provost Abraham was a guest speaker. He talked about combining BCOE and CLASS. We’re talking about presenting a poll to the students about what they think; maybe post questions to a Facebook page.

Last Lecture Series will be on Wednesday, November 19th at 3pm in DeBartolo 132.

Chair of University Affairs

There is an upcoming meeting with John Hyden and Chief Beshara to discuss the University’s side of the crosswalk and what they can do to help. Many businesses have signed the petition; Charles Shasho said that a pedestrian traffic signal is in the works.

Student Feedback Survey

Smoking areas are highly requested; they would be placed on the exterior of campus (in general). We would need to create a convenient area for smokers – however, we are technically a smoke-free campus so there isn’t much we can do.

Salting sidewalks and parking decks during the winter months, red bricks in walkways on campus are too slick; they will need to be replaced eventually. This will be discussed with John Hyden.

Food Focus Group is on November 19th from 11:30 AM – 1:00 PM, KC Room 2068, it’s an open forum to voice opinions about dining services. We’re going to compile a list of contacts to send information about the sessions. Chartwells is very willing to change in regards to students’ complaints.

Spring semester goal is an on-campus beautification effort/workday; it’s a good way to bring various student organizations together. We’re thinking about planting trees in green spaces, painting benches, trimming shrubbery, and/or creating an SGA Garden.

It’s been brought to attention that there are poorly-informed tour guides. We want our tour guides to be well-trained and well-informed. This is problematic for potential students/residents.

Academic Senate Meeting is Wednesday at 4

Housing district north of dorms: workdays already being planned – YNDC and YSUscape. Saturday YNDC Workday – planting only

Wednesday downtown cleanup by YSUscape, 6:00-7:00 PM – email Nick if interested

Email ysu.edu complaints to Luke by Thursday – YSU in process of requesting outside companies to help the Office of Marketing and Communications develop a new website for the University

Chair of Financial Affairs

There are 11 organizations (13 sections) up for appropriations on today’s bill. Representatives are present from: YSU Dance Club, Information Technology Students Association, Greek Campus Life, Dana Guitar Association of YSU, Panhellenic Council, Catholic Student Association, and Intervarsity Christian Fellowship.

Unfinished Business

Motion to open floor on unfinished business: Gessler first, Briggs second.

Unfinished business: SB R 2014-01

Motion to vote for resolution on debit cards: Gordon first, Lamping second.

Voting: PASSES

Motion to close the floor on unfinished business: Andriko first, Leonard second.

New Business

A Bill (SB F 2014-06)

Motion to open the floor for discussion on new business: Tancabel first, Orr second.

Anderson: Organizations have done lots of work to raise lots of money, that’s something to keep in mind when voting.

Slavens: Section 13 is the one that we tabled from last meeting. All these recommendations come from the committee. Any questions, ask now.

Orr: Our minutes are in excess of 18 pages; if you want them just let me know. I can send them in an email.

Andriko: Section 1, can we have a breakdown?

Orr: The reservation is 100, ingredients is 400, along with pans/foil/ etc.

Motion to divide the questions: Tancabel first, Briggs second.

Section 1: African Student Union is appropriated the sum of $500.00 to defray the cost of cooking ingredients and cover the cost of the reservation of the venue for their African Cultural Night on November 21st 2014. This event will be held at the First Presbyterian Church on Wick Avenue in Youngstown, Ohio. Three hundred (300) students and community members are expected to attend.

YES: 36 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 2: YSU Dance Club is appropriated the sum of $300.00 to defray the cost of hotel rooms for their Annual Salsa Trip which will be held on March 27th 2015. This event will be held in Pepper Pike, Ohio. Twenty five (25) members are expected to attend.

YES: 31 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 5

PASSES

Section 3: Men’s Club Volleyball is appropriated the sum of $150.00 to cover the cost of registration for the Kent State University Tournament which will be held November 15th 2014. This event will be held at Kent State University. Eight (8) members are expected to attend.

YES: 36 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 4: YSU Bowling Club is appropriated the sum of $150.00 to defray the costs of entry fees to the Shippensburg Classic which will be held December 6th – 7th 2014. This event will be held in Mechanicsburg, PA. Fifteen (15) members are expected to attend.

YES: 36 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 5: YSU Bowling Club is appropriated the sum of $135.00 to defray the costs of entry fees to the Bowling Green State Falcon Classic which will be held November 22nd 2014. This event will be held in Bowling Green, Ohio. Fifteen (15) members are expected to attend.

YES: 36 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 6: Information Technology Students Association (ITSA) is appropriated $900.00 from the general budget to defray the cost of security and $200 from the Chartwell’s budget to defray the cost of food for participants in the Hack YSU: Hackathon. The Hackathon will be held March 20th -22nd 2015. This event will be held in Meshel Hall. Two hundred and fifty (250) students are expected to attend.

YES: 36 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 7: F (10) is appropriated the sum of $720.00 to defray the cost of registration for the Student Photography Association National Conference which will be held March 12th -15th 2014. This event will be in New Orleans, Louisiana. Eleven (11) student members are expected to attend.

YES: 36 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 8: Greek Campus Life is appropriated the sum of $1050.00 to cover the cost of security and defray the cost of trophies for Greek Sing which will be held April 11th 2014. This event will be in Stambaugh Auditorium. Three hundred and thirty (330) students are expected to participate.

YES: 30 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 6

PASSES

Section 9: Dana Guitar Association of YSU is appropriated the sum of $500.00 to defray the cost of the guest artist fee for Anton Baranov’s Recital and Masterclass which will be held March 24th 2015. This event will be held in the Dana School of Music at YSU. One hundred and twenty five (125) students and community members are expected to attend.

YES: 36 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 10: Dana Guitar Association of YSU is appropriated the sum of $150.00 to defray the cost of the guest artist fee for their Jazz Clinic and Masterclass with YSU Alumnus Dan Wilson which will be held April 3rd 2015. This event will be held in the Dana School of Music at YSU. One hundred and twenty five (125) students and community members are expected to attend.

YES: 36 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 0

PASSES

Section 11: Panhellenic Council is appropriated the sum of $530.00 to defray the cost of registration for the American Fraternal Leadership Values Conference which will be held January 29th- February 1st 2015. This event will be held in Indianapolis, Indiana. Five (5) students are expected to attend.

YES: 32 NO: 1 ABSTENTIONS: 3

PASSES

Section 12: Catholic Student Association is appropriated $170.40 to cover the cost of cooking supplies and ingredients for their annual Pancake Study Break which will be held December 9th and 10th 2014. This event will be held at The Newman Center. Two hundred (200) students are expected to attend.

YES: 35 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 1

PASSES

Section 13: Intervarsity Christian Fellowship is appropriated the sum of $400.00 to defray the cost of registration/tuition for the Black Campus Ministries 2015 Student Conference which will be held February 20th – 22nd 2015. This event will be in held in Detroit, MI. Thirty (30) attendees are expected.

YES: 28 NO: 0 ABSTENTIONS: 8

PASSES

Anderson: There is a lot of information about starting a student organization. It’s dense and as a student leader it’s hard to start an event. SGA can help in forming a committee to look at this content and update it. Put it in an easy format for students’ ease.

Edgell: Is that something that could be covered with the new website design?

Anderson: It is, however we’re looking to update the content and make it easier for students. We want to service and aid students.

Gessler: Ms. Crystal for One Warm Coat, November 17th through December 12th. There will be 6 donation bins around campus. Start collecting coats.

Slavens: Dean DePoy is leaving. We will be looking for someone to replace him. We have some people in mind; we’ll bring the names forward to the body.

Miller-Gordon: What do we normally look for in an advisor?

Slavens: Someone who can bring something new to the table. We’re looking at Dr. Swegan.

Tancabel: Official procedure is not until the fall, we must go to Tressel, he must appoint an interim, and it must be an academic advisor. (Dean of some kind)

Motion to close the floor on new business: Orr first, Gessler second.

Gallery Remarks

Thanks very much for the money!

Advisor remarks

Becker: If you are part of an organization that can help the clothing drive, the next meeting is November 20th. We’d love to have people involved. We’re collecting professional clothes for people who don’t normally have them. Also, blackboard teacher evaluations are out, encourage people you know to do them, and do them yourself. We need to make this work.

Driscoll: Trustee applications are due this Friday. The Tunnel of Oppression will be set up in the president’s suit next week. Anyone interested in presenting in the leadership retreat for the spring semester let me know. Crash day is the 21st.

Member’s Remarks

Event at Suzie’s on Saturday, November 29th. There will be a cash raffle for people who attend. Prize is $125, starts at 8pm.

Toys for Tots tables will be set up on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for next three weeks.

Neighborhood development internship possibilities (For more information see Jayne Catlos.)

Dance Party at Kuzman’s on Thursday, November 13th

Announcements

Motion to adjourn the meeting: Anderson first, Farran second.

Meeting adjourned at 5:02pm.