Kilcawley Center, 1 University Plaza, Youngstown, OH 44505

330-941-3591 ysusga@gmail.com

Agenda for February 21, 2011

Order of Business

  1. Call to Order
  2. Guest Speaker
    1. Dr. Sharon A. Stringer—Director of Assessment / Professor, Psychology
  3. Roll Call
  4. Approval of the Minutes & Agenda
  5. Executive Business
    1. President’s Report
    2. Executive Vice President’s Report
    3. Vice President for Financial Affairs’ Report
    4. Committee Chairs’ Reports
      1. Chair of Student Life Committee
      2. Chair of Academic Affairs Committee
      3. Chair of University Affairs Committee
      4. Chair of Financial Appropriations Committee
  6. Unfinished Business
  7. New Business
    1. A Bill (SB S 2011-02) Appropriations
  8. Gallery Remarks
  9. Advisors’ Remarks
  10. Members’ Remarks
  11. Announcements
  12. Adjournment

President’s Report:

New Members

Andrew R. Boyle—Representative, freshman.

Robert DeVita—Representative, STEM

Darian Scott—Representative, School of Graduate Studies and Research.

Andrew Smith— Representative, STEM

Molly E. Toth—Representative, CLASS

Please welcome them!

Student & Employee Forums (Reminder)

President Anderson is going to host a forum for students and employees to meet with her, ask questions, express concerns, etc. The tentative date for this is Wednesday, March 9, from 12:00pm-1:00pm. in the Gallery of Kilcawley Center.

T-Shirts

Good news!! SGA t-shirts have been ordered and should be here for Monday’s meeting. T-shirt pickup will either be at Legislative Assembly on Monday or in the office.

Executive Vice President’s Report:

Mr. Mesik will give an oral report at Legislative Assembly.

Vice President for Financial Affairs’ Report:

Student Life Committee Report:

2/14/11 4:03pm

  1. Attendance
    1. Carissa Benchwick
    2. Aseel Ramahi
    3. Travis Battiest
    4. Taylor Clark
    5. Patrick Gessler
    6. Alexandira Hatosky (Absent)
    7. Celeste Popio
    8. Jessica Sarich (Excused)
    9. Levant Miller (late)
    10. Elyse Gessler
  1. Update on Intramurals
    1. No response back from Joe
    2. Two sports are planned: volleyball and basketball
    3. Working with ??? to set up intramurals before their dinner for Dr. Manning
    4. March 26, 2011 proposed time 11am-3pm
  1. May Day tailgate
    1. Chaired by Jessica
    2. April 12, 2011 3pm setup, 4pm-6:30pm
    3. Black Balloon theme
    4. Looking into raffle and prizes
  1. Diversity Fair
    1. Chaired by Travis
    2. April 19, 2011 10am-2pm
    3. Hope to get 15-20 students groups to showcase diversity at YSU
      1. Contacting CSP, Foreign Lang. Dept, CISP, and Diversity Office
    4. Looking into food donations, raffle, and prizes
  1. Close 4:41pm

Academic Affairs Committee:

February 14, 2011

Academic Affairs

Committee Report

Student
Government Association

  • List of Committee Members in Attendance: Steve Mesik, Alyssa DiBernardi, Kelli Bryan, Lilian Justice, James Jarvis, Steve Anderson, Ryan Beil, Terrell Wesley, Nikki Pavlichich
    Excused: Diane Stahl
  • Guests: Sarah Lowry, Academic Senate (General Education Committee)
  • Call to order: 4:05
  • Old Business
  1. FYE Discussion
  1. Committee members are invited to attend the General Education Committee meeting on Thursday at 3:00 PM in Tod Hall to present the proposal for FYE.
  2. Committee needs to create a clear picture of ideas that will be ready for Thursday’s meeting. We need to sell to the General Education Committee that FYE is useful and needed. Identified benefits include:
  1. Help identify at risk students and help students to get on the right track.
  2. Increase student retention
  3. The program may also increase university moral and create some sense of Penguin Pride among students.
  1. The committee created Goals and Learning Outcomes for the proposal. (Attached document)
  2. An additional idea was discussed about creating a handbook, the Penguin Packet, which is a comprehensive directory that is student centered. This would be students “workbook” for the semester that is a part of the grade for the course.
  1. Last Lecture Series Discussion: Tabled for the next committee meeting
  • Adjournment: 4:53

University Affairs Committee Report:

4:02 p.m. – 4:49 p.m.

Committee members present/absent

Present

  1. Gary Davenport VP of University Affairs
  2. Anthony Nuzzi Chair of University Affairs
  3. Brianna Wise Vice Chair of University Affairs
  4. Troy Adamson
  5. Kelly Mehalco
  6. Melania Vlad
  7. Zach White
  8. Andrew Smith

Absent

  1. Demetrius Williams

Guest(s)

  1. Deandre Redcliff
  2. Jenna Medina (Jambar Reporter)

Issues Discussed

  1. Roll Call
  2. Coffee Sleeves
  3. Information Technology
  4. Smoke-Free Environment
  5. Volunteer Work at YSU
  6. Traffic Safety
  7. Other Business

Recommendations

Roll Call (4:01 – 4:02)

Coffee Sleeves (4:02 – 4:16)

  1. Jambar Interviewed Melania Vlad
  2. Reported from AVI food systems that coffee sleeves can be expansive and wasteful
    1. All talk will be discontinued from AVI at this time

Information Technologies (4:16 – 4:18)

  1. Update of Microsoft Word to all machines
    1. Update will take place most likely summer of 2011

Smoke-Free Environment (4:19 – 4:23)

  1. Feedback was taken by email
    1. Students put in their ideas and views
    2. Returned emails went to Mr. Davenport who was writing the form
  1. Butt out day
    1. This will take place in March sometime
    2. Students will be encouraged to pick up cigarette butts off the ground around their given colleges
    3. Should take an hour or less

Volunteer Work at YSU (4:23 – 4:29)

  1. Wick Park Cleanup
    1. Is on Saturday, Feb. 26
    2. Meeting up will take place at the Unitary Church
    3. Students of University Affairs will take part in the following
      1. Mr. Davenport = Shovels
      2. Ms. Wise = Coffee
      3. Ms. Vlad & Mr. Smith = Pictures
      4. Person Unkown = Gloves and trash bags

Traffic Safety (4:29 – 4:39)

  1. MS consultants ran traffic study
  2. University Affairs is to meet with Valerie Rosmun
    1. Discussed places at YSU that need fixing such as
      1. Parking spots
      2. Lights
      3. Building Repairs

Outstanding issues sent to the committee yet to be resolved

New Business (4:39 – 4:49)

  1. SAAB first movie will be Wednesday at 7:00
    1. Movie = Takers
    2. February 16
  1. Student non Profit organization will be helping us plant new shrubs and flowers for the wick park spring fix up
    1. This will take place sometime in April

Financial Appropriations Committee Report:

February 14, 2011 4:00pm

Attendance: all present

4:00

Submitted form for Financial Appropriations:

Organization Name: Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, INC.

Total Number of Members: 9

Contact Person: Christopher McNeal?Contact Phone Number: 6148321466?Contact Email: Cemcneal@student.ysu.edu

Advisor: Mike Beverly?Advisor’s Phone Number: 330- 941-1441?Advisor’s Email: mabeverly@ysu.edu

What fundraising efforts has your organization recently put forth? What is being planned?: Sponsorship from local organizations.

What community service has your organization participated in recently? What is being planned? Please be specific as to how many participate and if it is done on behalf of the organization.: YEC Tutoring, After School program at Wilson, Turkey Drive, Helping High Student Transition to College, Summer Camp Program.

Name of Event: REGIONAL MEETING?Date of Event: March 21 – April 2?Location: Ohio State University?Expected Participation: 9?Total Cost of Event: 597

Description of Event: Regional meetings are the periods in which we grow and develop a new threshold of Iota Phi Theta, Fraternity, Inc. These meetings will offer workshops and comprehensive tools that will allow for fraternal, personal and professional growth.

How will this event benefit YSU and the student body?: It will help our members come up with new programs, events and community service projects that will increase student involvement on campus.

Itemized Cost:

Description Amount Requested
Hotel 297
Gas 100
Food 125
Registration 75
Total 597

Amount Recommended: $475.00 to fully fund the cost of the hotel, registration, and gas.

SB S 2011-02

A Bill

Making Appropriations for one organization(s)

Be it enacted by the Legislative Assembly of the Youngstown State University Student Government Association assembled, That the following sums are appropriated, out of any money in the Appropriations Fund not otherwise appropriated, for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2011, for the activities of student organizations, namely:

Section 1: Iota Phi Theta Fraternity, Inc is appropriated the sum of $475.00 to fully fund the cost of hotel, gas and registration for their Regional Meeting from March 31- April 2 at Ohio State University. Nine (9) members are expected to attend.

Leave a Reply

Or