Order of Business, Part I
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
- Approval of the Minutes from March 29th, 2010 & April 12th, 2010
- Approval of the Agenda
- Executive Business
- President’s Remarks
- VP for Financial Affair’s Year-end Report
- Committee Chairs’ Reports
- i. Chair of University Affairs Committee
- ii. Chair of Academic Affairs Committee
- iii. Chair of Student Life Committee
- Unfinished Business
- New Business
- Gallery Remarks
- Advisors’ and Members’ Remarks
|VP for Financial Affairs’ Report|
|Full Budget||Total Appropriated||Returned||Unappropriated Balance|
|Approved Requests, Fall|
|Organization||Appropriated||Date Allocated||Returned||Notes||% of Funds Unobligated|
|Scholar Trustees||800.00||9/14/2009||conference registration||26.80%|
|Student Nurses Association||350.00||9/14/2009||hotel and gas|
|YSU College Republicans||100.00||9/14/2009||100.00||security fee||Organizations Funded|
|Dance Club||800.00||9/28/2009||instructor fee||47|
|University Scholar Trustees||545.64||9/28/2009||Shantytown|
|Western Reserve Batallion Society||447.00||9/28/2009||447.00||no contact, unregistered||Mean Appropriation|
|Ulitmate Frisbee Club||500.00||9/28/2009||entry fee and uniforms||$513.25|
|Alpha Lambda Delta||200.00||9/28/2009||registration and airfare|
|Society of Women Engineers||250.00||9/28/2009||hotel|
|YSU Extramural Sports Club||500.00||9/28/2009||registration|
|Zeta Tau Alpha||1,400.00||9/28/2009||146.44||pink ribbon cheer classic|
|YSU Student Education Association||400.00||10/12/2009||parking|
|African Student Union||550.00||10/12/2009||food|
|Rugby Club||400.00||10/12/2009||union fees|
|Dental Hygientists||375.00||10/12/2009||lodging and brochures|
|Catholic Student Association||776.00||10/12/2009||pancake study breaks|
|Institute of Mgmt.Accountants||325.00||10/26/2009||lodging|
|Early Childhood Student Association||400.00||10/26/2009||conference fees|
|Dana Research Society||340.00||10/26/2009||registration and event fees|
|American Marketing Association||500.00||10/26/2009||registration fees|
|Greek Campus Life||500.00||10/26/2009||food- Up til Dawn|
|OMCEA||1,000.00||10/26/2009||lodging – conferences|
|Institute of Industrial Engineers||500.00||10/26/2009||registration|
|Indian International Student Org.||500.00||11/9/2009||food|
|Campus Crusade for Christ||400.00||11/9/2009||conference|
|YSU Philosphy and Religious Studies||650.00||11/9/2009||venue and food|
|Dana Guitar Association||700.00||11/23/2009||recital fee|
|Moonbuggy Society||500.00||11/23/2009||gas, lodging|
|Youngstown Percussion Collective||700.00||11/23/2009||700.00||cancelled event|
|Society of Automotive Engineers||550.00||11/23/2009||gas, lodging|
|National Panhellenic Council||600.00||1/11/2009||registration|
|NAMI on Campus||100.00||1/25/2010||national registration|
|Physical Education Majors Club||440.00||1/25/2010||convention registration|
|Sigma Tau Gamma||600.00||2/8/2010||registration|
|Gerontological Society||300.00||2/8/2010||advertising and refreshments|
|YSU Lacrosse||600.00||2/8/2010||referee fees|
|Dana Flute Society||425.00||2/8/2010||parking and security|
|Catholic Student Association||300.00||2/8/2010||registration|
|YSU Gospel Choir||400.00||2/8/2010||artist fees|
|Crimininal Justice Grad. Society||500.00||2/22/2010||registration|
|New Music Society||350.00||2/22/2010||guest artist fee|
|Campus Crusade for Christ||424.00||3/15/2010||Big Break Event|
University Affairs Committee Report
University Affairs Issue Summary Sheet (Spring 2010)
- Campus safety
- longboard policy
- Problem: At the initial phase of investigating how to allow university students to use longboard skateboards on campus
- Next Step: Research what other universities have in terms of skateboard policies
- campus security
- Issue: Safety against crime in the decks, better lighting on campus, easier to access to call boxes in the winter, investigate the use of campus security escorts to learn more about their role
- Current Progress: Engineering/Facilities is currently working on lighting
- Next Step: Talk to campus police / campus security boys to learn more about their roles in university security and to find ways to make them more accessible to students
- Issue: Many crosswalks are not easy to spot, crosswalk lights are out along major roadways around campus, timing issue with the 5th/Armed Services Blvd crosswalk.
- Current Progress: Parking Services is investigating and implementing a new crosswalk planning strategy in the coming months
- Next Step: Keep in touch with YSU Parking Services to track their progress on this issue (Daniel O’Connell)
- longboard policy
- Americans for Disabilities Act
- Issue: Buildings and sidewalks on campus are not up to ADA standards and require upgrades
- Current Status: Our report of problem areas on campus is complete (check SGA records)
- Next Step: Meet with Disability Services and Facilities (with report) to discuss and prioritize improvements
- Issue: What is the university going to do to accommodate the increase in enrollment and the potential demolition of the M2 Deck?
- Current Status: Deck is likely to be torn down, not sure yet when exactly (possibly summer?)
- Next Step: Meet with Campus Planning (Hunter Morrison) and Parking Services (Daniel O’Connell) and figure out the current status on these parking plans and also how SGA can get involved in the solution.
- Deck is possible to obtain with student backing and willingness to increase fees. Otherwise everything is going to become surface lots.
- Investigate how parking fee is spent looking at student records.
- Parking pass rate would have to be increased in order to afford a deck. Perhaps figure out how much more it would cost students per pass if we were to pay for a deck.
- Third Party Email Initiative
- Issue: YSU needs a better e-mail system with larger capacity, more user-friendly. Research is done, Microsoft’s e-mail client is what the university and SGA both like.
- Currently: Waiting for Media and Academic Computing to begin working to SGA to implement the new system.
- Next Step: Meet with Mike Hreshenko (M&AC) and see how SGA can help the university implement a third-party system.
- presidential climate commitment
- Issue: Should the President sign the commitment? We investigated it and found that YSU already meets many of the standards.
- Current Status: COMPLETE. SGA approved a resolution recommending that the YSU President sign the commitment.
- Wick Pollock Garden Cleanup
- Issue: Wick Pollock Garden needs annual maintenance. SGA, along with Larry Tooker (ret. Grounds Official) are responsible for implementing this annually.
- Current Status: Got student volunteers from SGA and other organizations to participate in the cleanup this April.
- Next Step: Plan an additional cleanup in the Fall or Spring. Do this or die!!
Academic Affairs Committee Report
April 19, 2010
Guests: Steve Mesik & constituent
- Drafted thank you note to Dr. Anderson for presenting at Last Lecture Series.
- Discussed uneven funding to departments in STEM, in particular the lack of acceptable and functional lab equipment in the Physics Department labs.
Student Life Committee Report
The Student Life Committee 2009-2010 Report
- Organized a Meet The Reps Night at BW3’s, Youngstown Location. Provided food, beverages and entertainment for the students.
- Hosted a tailgate tent at the 2009 Homecoming Football Game. Offered food, beverages, and a free t-shirt to those in attendance.
- Held meetings with Dining Services (Tom Totterdale) to discuss on campus dining issues and suggestions.
- Offered coffee, hot chocolate and cookies at the final’s week extended library hours.
- Also Planned: Student Government Association Winter Retreat
- Dining Services/ Transportation Survey Passed out at Penguin Pre-Party
- Hosted a table at the Penguin Pre-Party, raffled off ten Third Eye Blind tickets. Passed out survey to students who approached table.
- May Day Kick Off Party. Thursday, April 29 from 5 to 630 in the Rec 5 area. Free food, beverages, and a SGA Kick Off Party wristband will be offered. Games and activities will take places at the event including corn hole, and Frisbee challenge. Other campus organizations will host tables at the event to promote student activities at YSU. Students must show I.D.’s to enter.
Things to continue for next fiscal year
- Tabulate Survery results and present them to continuing meetings with Dining Services to improve student satisfaction.
- Organize a SGA retreat.
- Annualize the May Day Kick Off Party
- Become more involved at Penguin Pre-Parties
- Increase on-campus PR for Student Government to allow easier accessibility and awareness for students.
Financial Appropriations Committee Report
(No appropriations for this week.)
Order of Business, Part II
- Call to Order
- Roll Call
IV. New Business
- Executive Committee Elections, Appointment, and Confirmations
- i. Appointment of Vice President for Financial Affairs
- ii. Confirmation of Chief of Staff
- iii. Confirmation of Secretary of Technology
- iv. Election of Vice President for Student Life
- v. Election of Vice President for University Affairs
- vi. Election of Parliamentarian
- vii. Appointment of Advisors
- viii. Nominate Homecoming King and Queen
- Discussion of Ideas for Summer & Fall
- Advisors & Members Remarks
- Gallery Remarks